Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Date with the T


Last Friday to kick off my holiday break, I had an all-day date with my little T. We rode the bus down to my school to pick up my grades. Then headed off to Starbucks for yummy coffee and a HUGE doughnut. We met up with a friend for lunch and played at a playground for a while. Nothing overly special, but I just really enjoyed time with Tori.

Isn't that a HUGE doughnut? Since we ate lunch shortly after, this pretty much was her lunch.

Tori with my 汉语 Hanyu teacher (she teaches us the grammar and characters). My teacher was enthralled with Tori and amazed as Tori had a conversation with her all in Chinese.

Now I have to tell you an awkward thing for me. Everyone keeps asking how did in my classes. I then tell them that I did well. They pause and look at me expectantly waiting for me to tell them exactly how I did. Since the school doesn't really have a grading system that I am aware of (it is just the score), to tell them how I did I have to tell them the exact score. And I must confess that telling my exact score feels awkward like I am being prideful or bragging. Is it just me, or would that be awkward for anybody else?
I just have to say, don't I look like a giant? Ah, the reality of being 5'9" (or 1.75 m) in China. Often on the bus, I have a clear view over everyone's heads. The other day this random woman on the bus seriously did not come up beyond my chest. She kept smiling up at me and making conversation. I had to stoup down to hear her! :-D

4 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile! :) I'm so glad you did "well." Not surprised at all. As long as you are pleased with your progess in the language, that's all that really matters in the end, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I have seen improvement in my language. Now granted, I still have a looong way to go, but learning a language is definitely a marathon not a sprint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I'm glad you did well too!! ;) David and I were thinking back on this point you make about the EXACT score - I think it's 'normal' for people to share the exact score. I remember growing up (many other chinese parents did the same), if you came home with a 97% for example (doing very well), parents always ask 'what happened to the other 3 points?'

    long story short: it's normal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michelle. The funny thing to me is that it was not just Chinese asking. I think I would have been less surprised with the Chinese asking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete