Thursday, March 24, 2011

A sleepy, sick week

This has been a week filled with tea, lots of vitamin C, naps, and not much else. Because when Mom is sick, then just not a lot of other things get done. I spent most of Monday and Tuesday on the couch. Fever, sore throat, chills, the works. This would be one of those times where I am so thankful for our ayi (house help). Yes, one of the perks of living in China is house help. And while I used to feel guilty (and honestly, if I could share her with you all, I would), but really I don't anymore. She is such a blessing to our family, and I know that we are same to her (she has said as much). But anyway, she made dinner, picked up kids and just kept things running smoothy. 

Finally, Wednesday as I was turning the corner, Tori stayed home from school complaining that her tummy was hurting. That afternoon, I got a call from the kids' school that Becca had a headache and wanted to come home. This would be one of those moments where it is more difficult being in China. I couldn't just drive over and pick her up. In order to get her, I need to call my driver and have him pick me up, wait for the 20 minutes for him to arrive from the company, drive to her school (another 25-30 minutes) and then back. No, not a simple solution. So, since the school was letting out for an early dismissal in just an hour, I told her to hang in there and just come home on the bus. Seems heartless, but it was going to get her home quicker than the other method. And last night, Josh complaining that his head was hurting and he didn't feel well, voluntarily went to bed at 7. Today, he woke up with a fever of 39°C (103°F). I debated going to class, but even though our ayi was going to be here this morning, I stayed home. Cause I just had a feeling that my boyo would want me. About an hour later, I knew this was the right decision. "Mommy! Mommy!" Josh was hollering for me. I ran upstairs to see what he needed.

"What's wrong, buddy? Can I get something to drink for you? What do you need?"

"Nothing. I just wanted you, Mommy." My heart melts to hear my big boy say this.

So as he dozes, I am sitting here beside him. Typing and loving on him. That's the kind of week it has been for us. I hope that your week has been healthier than ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment