Saturday, April 9, 2011

Field trip?

Today Tori went with her kindergarten on her 春游 (Spring Field Trip). We got a notice last week informing us of the trip and all of the particulars. You know, the where, when, what they need to bring, how much. All that good info. But of course it was in Chinese. I wish I could just show you typical communications from the school. I read it (well, sort of) and figured out the day, the cost, and what she needed to bring. But I had no clue where she was going. When she was talking about how excited she was and how much she was looking forward to going on her trip, I asked her where she was going. Her response: "I don't know." Then today after school, I was trying to figure out exactly what they did. She told me that they went on a carousel, saw a seal show, saw sharks and jellyfish, rode on a shark scrambler, and saw a real mermaid swimming with really flat fish. I guessed the aquarium. When I asked her about it, she said, "No, not the aquarium." But after talking more, I just don't think she knew what an aquarium was. I think is one of those times I will just need to make an educated guess. Cause when your information is obtained in Chinese and then via a 5 year old, it is not that reliable. ;-)

But regardless of where they went, she had a FABULOUS time. In fact, she talked non-stop about the trip throughout dinner and the evening. My favorite part of her description was when she was describing the real mermaid that she saw. In her words: "She was really, real. She was swimming with the flat fish with wings (known to the rest of us as rays). But I think she was just an 姨 (ayi)* dressed up"

**呵姨 (pronounced: ayi) literally means aunt, but is the polite way to refer to women who are about your moms age. kind of like the equivalent of ma'am or miss in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment