The last two weeks the kids and I have been on spring break. I know 2 weeks seems like a crazy amount of time. But most of the breaks at the international school are 2 weeks. Because when people here travel, they take time to do it. Especially considering that when we go home, it requires a 12+ hour flight to do it. No weekend trips to grandma's house for us during spring break!
And since the Chinese holiday is only 2 days (meaning that Andy only gets those 2 days off), we were not going to be traveling anywhere. Instead our time was spent around Suzhou. I caught up on those little details that had been overlooked during my first couple weeks of work. I ordered our curriculum for homeschooling next year. Which Andy gave me grief for. "You have plenty of time" he tells me. True, but unlike other homeschoolers, if I decide midyear that I want something different, I can't just order it and have it delivered. I can't decided, oh this other book would be a great addition. I needed to know exactly what I wanted for the whole year. Knowing how busy I was when teaching, I didn't want this on my mind as well. And when we get back in the US, I just want to enjoy being with family and friends, not researching what curriculum I want to use. Wow, I guess I felt rather strongly about that?! I think I was just humored that my husband, the ultimate planner, was giving me, the impromptu queen, grief on one of those times when I am actually planning quite a ways ahead. I'll say no more.
And the rest of our time was spent around our neighborhood enjoying beautiful spring weather.
One afternoon, we went to the park around the corner from our neighborhood to rollerblade. The kids had to skate in the bike lane to get there.
Becca and one of her dear friends, Silje. We will be sad to see their family move back to Norway this summer. I know that I have said it before, but saying goodbye is a hard reality of life here. And probably one of my least favorite things about expat life.
While many Chinese parks don't have as much green space as those in the US, they do provide a great place for rollerblading.
Is there any wonder why we call her our force? (as in our force to be reckoned with)
Then yesterday, we took the train into Shanghai with some other families to the Science and Technology Museum. I got only a few pictures and they were not that great. Somehow, whenever we go to any museum I come home with memories and no pictures. True in the US and true here.
As we are winding down our break, I am already thinking to the future. Lesson plans for the rest of the school year for my class. Finishing up buying the curriculum. And while we have made a family rule that we don't countdown to summer until there is less than a month, I could tell you the days until we are back in the US.
69. . . Just in case you were wondering.





I am the impromptu queen at my house too, my hubby is the list maker! I guess that's a good balance. I love the skating photos. Looks like a lot of fun. 69 days, will fly by really fast, and you'll be visiting with your family in no time.
ReplyDelete