Wednesday, January 23, 2013

what I'm cooking

Actually this first one, I was teaching B how to cook. She has been asking for me to teach her to cook. I often have these grand ideas but my follow-through can be lacking. I have been wanting to work with each of the kids on cooking. I think this is one that will be postponed until after the move. Then I hope to have each child help me with dinner once a week. And then after I have taught Becca some meals, I hope that she can take over cooking one night a week.

We started with chicken tenders. (And these are her hands cutting up the meat).


Assembling all of the ingredients.


I had hoped to get a picture of the after, but we were hungry and ate them too quickly!

If you are interested, here is the recipe:

Baked Chicken Tenders
1-2 pounds of chicken breast or tenders
1 1/2 cups of flour
Salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup of milk
2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs

Cut the chicken into strips. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper and place in a shallow bowl. Beat the eggs and add in the milk. Put the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken in the flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then coat with the breadcrumbs. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400˚F for 15 minutes or until done.

Then today, after much begging (on the kids' part) I am making crock-pot applesauce. Which is super-easy. And I am wondering why I have not made this before?!

Crock-pot Applesauce
6-7 apples, peeled and quartered
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (you can even use apple juice or just water)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Orange peel
1 Tablespoon lemon or orange juice (if you look below, I just used a whole orange and then took it out before I blended)

Combine all the ingredients in a crock-pot and cook on low for 4-5 hours. If you want a chunkier applesauce mash with a potato masher (or fork) or for a smoother applesauce, blend in food processor or blender. So good and if you notice, no extra sugar!





No comments:

Post a Comment