Just as a side note.... I cannot view my blog or any other on blogspot. I am trying figure a way to do so. And as you can see, I figured out a way to post, but forgive any errors or weirdness!
Friday, May 30, 2008
First Impressions
We have been here more than a full day and Andy and I were talking about our first impressions. I think that there is so much more to living in a culture verses visiting. We walked up to Pizza Hut yesterday for lunch (kiddos needing something they could recognize... I think this will be a real treat!). Just moving the 5 of us from one point to another is not simple. Then there are the stares that we attract. Now I knew that we would get watched, but I think that I was unprepared for the open gawking. It's funny but the older two attract stares (much like Andy and I do), but Tori is something else. She is our rock star. People see her and point, and smile, and then try to engage her somehow. Thankfully, she is very outgoing so she takes this all in stride. She also gets quite the reaction if she smiles, waves or responds with a "Ni hao!" (hello). I also really like the community that we are in. We went to breakfast yesterday (did I explain how breakfast is included in our club membership? Isn't that strange?) and also the pool. I met 3 women who offered their help in any way possible. I had heard that the expat community was welcoming and helpful but seeing it was something else. Lastly, I think that I underestimated how much I would take little conveniences for granted. We are living in an apartment and I have yet to get to the store. We have no milk, juice, or fruit. Thankfully, we packed quite a bit of snacks (granola bars and such) but you can imagine what it is like with the kids without these things. I am going to the store today. The store will also be quite an adventure. Becca had an observation yesterday after hanging out at the pool in the afternoon. She said, "Mom, I really think that I can make friends here." Isn't that encouraging? I think she was reassured by all the kids she saw in the neighborhood. I would include pictures, but our camera seems to have been lost in transit. I am sure that we will unpack more and find it! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment