Wednesday, December 10, 2008

6 month update

I realized a few days ago that we have been here for more than 6 months. Is that amazing to anyone else? Just makes me stop and take inventory....

The kids continue to do well. Our recent visit from Duease was so good for them. I am thankful for their overall good health. True, as I write this Becca has a bad cold and just got rid of lice. Becca is thriving at her school. As I watched her in the school play last week, I felt like I was watching a different girl than the one we brought to China. Every time I turn around, she is growing and changing before my eyes. Josh is slowly making friends. But that is who he is. Tori has made several friends and is enjoying taking a ballet class.

Andy hen mang! (is very busy) Over the last 3 weeks, he has been gone more than he has been home. I think that he has been home maybe 5 days during this time! He was even gone on Thanksgiving. He gets home Friday and does not travel again for a while. Funny how it comes in spurts. He feels that he is starting to settle into his role, though there is still much to learn.

I am overall doing well. The past 4 weeks have been busy. Duease (Andy's mom) came to visit, which was wonderful. Then for the last week and a half we have had a family of 5 staying with us. They discovered mold growing in their apartment, so they bunked here while looking for a new place. There were 6 kids and Becca (at 7 years) was the oldest! 

Normally, I love this time of year, anticipating Christmas. However, even though we have decorations up it just doesn't quite feel like the holiday season. I am sure part of it is the weather (it was in the high 60s today). But I also know that it will be hard for all of us to be apart from family and friends over the holidays. In fact, I am already missing our families. :-(  Don't misunderstand me. I am still enjoying so much of life here, but this is my first wave of homesickness. There is just a small store of sadness that I normally don't carry around this time of year as I miss all of YOU!  Knowing how celebrating with others is so important to me, we will be celebrating with several friends who will also be around. Anyway, think of us over the next couple of weeks.....

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I cannot believe its been 6 months! I so enjoy your stories and photos. You'll be in my thoughts as we go through this season. Have fun!! :)
    --Sarah Smoker (I know it says Dan...couldn't figure out how to change it. :) )

    ReplyDelete